- Nova Scotia
- New Brunswick
- Prince Edward Island
- British Columbia
The Grant Review Committee members will be required to participate in a virtual orientation session to be held on a date to be advised. Committee members may also meet in person to participate in adjudication committee meetings, if required.
To apply for this opportunity, please send in a completed application form HERE by December 8, 2020 Please contact Karen Soltau, Manager, Human Resources Tropicana Community Services o (416) 439-9009, or send an email with “SBCCI Grant Committee” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org
Duties and Responsibilities of Members
The Grant review Adjudication Committee will:
- Review applications submitted by eligible organizations in the relevant geographic areas.
- Recommend funding amounts for proposals reviewed based on program criteria, guidelines and an assessment process established by Tropicana Community Services.
- Contribute to continuous improvement of the program by making recommendations to the Tropicana team for program improvements.
- All members will:
- Protect and maintain as confidential all matters arising before the Adjudication Committee.
- Respect the privacy of other Committee members and agree not to disclose information or views expressed by individuals during meetings.
- Abstain from making a recommendation on any application where he/she has a conflict of interest. All Committee members are required to declare any real or perceived conflicts of interest.
- Ensure recommendations are made in a fair and unbiased manner.
- Not discuss information with persons not on the Adjudication Committee.
- Not disclose information obtained from the work of the Adjudication Committee.
- Conduct themselves in a manner that supports the integrity and credibility of SBCCI.
- Prepare for and fully participate in meetings.
The Adjudication Committees will consist of ten members. Appointments will be made with consideration for a balance of perspectives including:
- Geographic and ethno-cultural diversity
- Age and gender
- Experience from a range of sectors
- Knowledge of the communities
Appointment of Members
Individuals will be recruited and appointed to the Adjudication Committees by Tropicana Community Services.
- Members will be appointed for a year term commencing November 2020 and ending October 2021.
- Members may be reappointed for up to two additional one-year terms to a maximum of three years.
Qualifications of Committee Members
- Members must be resident in Canada.
- Members who will review application from the Atlantic, Central and Western region must reside in their respective region.
- Members will be familiar with Black communities/organizational issues in their region
- Members will have knowledge and experience related to the objectives and priorities of the SBBCI.
- Members will have knowledge and experience reviewing grant applications.
- Members will have knowledge of local, regional or provincial opportunities.
- Members will have knowledge and experience of community-based organizations, volunteerism, and community development.
- Adjudication Committee members are volunteers and will not receive remuneration from Tropicana for serving on an Adjudication Committee.
- Adjudication Committee members will be reimbursed for travel, accommodation and meal expenses incurred for attending meetings according to Tropicana Expense Policy.
Frequency: Adjudication Committee meetings will occur based on a per need basis. Adequate notification will be given ahead of time.
Format: Meetings will be either virtual or face-to-face (dependent upon the number of applications).
The Adjudication Committees will strive for consensus wherever possible. When a consensus is not possible, a simple majority vote will be used.
All discussion items and recommendations will be recorded in the meeting minutes. The Adjudication Committees will make funding recommendations to Tropicana for final decisions and approval.
The Tropicana project team will provide administrative support to the Adjudication Committees including:
- Orientation and role of Committee members
- Preparation of meeting agendas
- Preparation of meeting minutes
- Distribution of meeting agenda, minutes and applications
- Meeting arrangements
- Facilitating meetings of the Committees
- Technical advice concerning program criteria and adjudication processes
- Regular communications including notification of Tropicana decisions, funding announcements
- Updates, etc.